Please take your time to read about the history of the Scotch arms mews.
From its origins as a church to being a bed and breakfast in Brampton, we think you will agree that it is colourful, varied and interesting.
The Scotch Arms ceased being a Public house in 2013 and became the subject of a hotel bed and breakfast redevelopment project in Brampton Cumbria. It seems appropriate therefore to look back over the years and discover the history of this building as it reveals its secrets as extensions are removed and original features are once more exposed.
1. The first record 1603
According to the 1603 map a building of some sort stood on this site –possibly a single storey house with a thatched roof. The owner attributed to this building is recorded as a “ Hetherton”
“Hetherton” - Site of later Scotch arms building
2. The next record – August 13th 1673
On August 13th 1673 A conveyance of land took place between Rt Hon Edward - Lord Morpeth and Leonard Deane a merchant of Brampton:
“Indenture of conveyance between Rt Hon Edward Lord Morpeth of the one hand and Leonard Deane of the other part £6.
One pcell (parcel) of waste ground situate in Brampton lying and being on the west side of Ambrose Atkinson’s Barne known and called by the name of Barne Hill
Witness : Will Mayle,James Maxwell
25 Chas II Edward lord Morpeth to Leonard Deane – the ground where the house built .” Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society’ transactions 1886 Vol VIII
From the above record it can therefore be confirmed that a parcel of waste ground was conveyed to Leonard Deane upon which a house was built.. Leonard Deane was at that time a successful merchant and a Presbyterian, churchwarden. A further record confirms:
“There is a meeting house at Brampton for the Presbyterians who have a congregation there ever since 1672...... this was on the site of the present Scotch Arms Inn”.
Whellan’s “History of Cumberland” p.33
So, it is fairly certain that a building was erected on the Scotch Arms site in 1673; what is not certain is that the building we see today is the original; nor can we say for certain that there was not a small thatched roof single dwelling on this site before 1673 as illustrated in the 1603 map although the conveyance states that the parcel of land was “waste ground”.
3.The beginnings of Presbyterian worship in Brampton.
Between 1646 and 1662 the established Church of England was not Anglican but Presbyterian. The common prayer book was rejected and those clergy who clung to it were dismissed. Charles Howard was a sympathiser of the Presbyterian faith and arranged for Nathaniel Burnand -a Presbyterian vicar to set up a congregation in Brampton. The Indulgence Book of Charles II records:
“A license to Natha Burnam of Branton in Cumberland to be a Pr (Presbyterian) teacher Sept 5 th at the howse of William Atkinson."
So, the house of William Atkinson was where the Presbyterians first met. William Atkinson was a glover and although tradition holds that his house was somewhere near the New Brewery, it is an interesting coincidence that the conveyance of the parcel of waste land to Leonard Deane was
“lying and being on the west side of Ambrose Atkinson’s barne”
The Presbyterian congregation grew but not without dissenters. Leonard Deane , successful merchant and now owner of a substantial building in Back Street offered his house to a new and ardent Presbyterian vicar called John Kingrade. Here they set up an unlicensed Presbyterian Meeting house and a strong congregation of over 71 families worshipped here. It is unsure as to whether the meeting house was actually in Leonard Deane’s house , or in the outhouses in the lane at the rear. Later the churchwardens of the original Presbyterian church criticised both Leonard Deane and John Kingrade for conducting unlicensed services:
“Wee present Leonard Deane for keeping a meeting house unlysensed and also present Mr John Kingrade for preaching there.”
Leonard Deane died in 1695 and his imposing tombstone in the Old Church graveyard reflects the important position he held in the district. John Kingrade died in 1707 and his widow Ann Kingrade states in her will of 1711:
“I Ann kingcaide of broomhill in ye pish of Denton....give and bequeath to ye congregation Dissenting at Brampton for maintaining a Gospell minister ye sume of twenty pounds being a bond in Anthony Mawson’;s hand in Brampton, and I order Thomas Hetherington of ye throp, Isaac Deane of Brampton and James Atkinson to be Trustees of ye same”
So, the Deane and Atkinson families were instrumental in keeping the Presbyterian worship alive in Brampton. The following year Robert Wight, was ordained at Brampton and ministered at the Scotch Arms meeting house for the following twenty years.
4. 1732 Alterations and additions to the building – Presbyterian congregation move to a new Chapel.
In 1732 many alterations to the building took place– a second storey was added and the property now included all the land between the building and the North bank of the Brampton Beck . The Beck was a small open rivulet supplying water to various businesses and works - in the shape of water power and waste disposal! In the yard, adjacent to the building a row of stables was built with stairs on the outside giving access to a loft for storing hay and providing accommodation for stable hands. There are only few records of this building over the following 60 years.The Deane family continued as merchants and the stables at the rear were in constant use for deliveries and personal transport.
5. The Scotch Arms as an Inn 1819 – 2013.
In 1732 many alterations to the building took place– a second storey was added and the property now included all the land between the building and the North bank of the Brampton Beck . The Beck was a small open rivulet supplying water to various businesses and works - in the shape of water power and waste disposal! In the yard, adjacent to the building a row of stables was built with stairs on the outside giving access to a loft for storing hay and providing accommodation for stable hands.
There are only few records of this building over the following 60 years.The Deane family continued as merchants and the stables at the rear were in constant use for deliveries and personal transport.
In the stables at the rear 25 horses could be cared for with a hay loft above and accommodation for stable hands called ostlers:
a) Death at the Scotch Arms
“a man called Pearson – ostler at The Scotch Arms Inn, on Thursday last, received a kick in the stomach from a horse which occasioned his death – almost instantly”
Carlisle Journal 1827
b) The True Briton
Each Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings, a coach and four horses called The True Briton left the Scotch Arms at 7.10 am for Newcastle carrying passengers and parcels.
c) Joseph, John and Robert Carruthers – Carriers
From 1829 and for the following 60 years a family of Carriers lived and worked from the rear yard of the Scotch Arms Inn. Joseph Carruthers is first recorded in the Trade Directories of 1829 as a carrier “in the mews of the Scotch arms Inn”, with access through the archway.
When James died, his 25 year old son Joseph took over the business and by 1851 Joseph is shown as head of the firm married to Elizabeth with son John as an apprentice carrier age 15; James 13;Ann 10; Ruth 7; Mary 5; Joseph 2; and William 8 months. By 1871 Elizabeth was left a widow and all her young family became active in the business which survived for a further 20 years.
In 1873 James now 30 years old appears to have got into a spot of trouble with the Brampton police. Brother Robert had been arrested by the police for setting fire to a part of the gas works where a vagrant had been sleeping. James on waking from a drunken slumber and finding a commotion in the house whereby his brother was being forcibly arrested, immediately flew to his defence and got into a fight with the police sergeant. Both were found guilty of several charges and fined heavily with costs.
Despite the police record, Robert appears to have taken the lead in the family business up to the 1890’s - - but, again some 10 years later Robert again fell foul of the law and was prosecuted for swearing and assault of a rival carrier.
d) John Harding – Carriers
At the turn of the 19th century, Mr John Harding took over the carrier business in the rear yard of the Scotch Arms Inn.
e) Slander at The Scotch
Robert Halliburton died at the age of 29 years; his widow Ann continued to manage the inn with the help of a Mr Reed who drove her gig whenever necessary.
Mr James the owner was a solicitor in Brampton, and it was both ambitious and reckless of Ann Halliburton the tenant to take her employer – a solicitor of all people – to court on a charge of slander.
Mr James’ office had been broken into, £65 and five gold sovereigns were stolen. The thieves were thought to have been well equipped with skeleton keys, because a number of locks had to be passed through before the money could be touched. The thief even had the audacity to lock Mr James in his bedroom whilst carrying out the burglary!
Meanwhile a man called Edmondson had been drinking at The Scotch Arms and having become intoxicated had to be helped home. Mrs Halliburton arranged for her assistant Mr Reed together with another person named Blake to take the drunken Edmondson home in the Scotch Arms gig. Edmondson on waking up at home discovered that his money was missing and suspicion naturally fell upon Reed and Blake. Reed was traced to Hexham by the Brampton constable and was found there with considerable money which was traceable to the James solicitor robbery. Reed and Blake were each found guilty of both offences at the Quarter Sessions and were transported to Botany Bay for 17 years.
Mrs Halliburton, now with a grudge decided to charge Mr James with slander. She claimed that Mr James had shouted at her in Front Street Brampton, for others to hear – that it was she that had stolen the money and that he had proof of it. Mrs Halliburton wanted significant financial compensation in the court from Mr James for loss of public respect, claiming that she was a genteel lady much respected in the town. After cross examination the jury found that Mrs Halliburton had coached her 8 year old daughter to say in court that she witnessed the incident where Mr James was alleged to have shouted at Mrs Halliburton in the street accusing her of being the thief. The jury were not convinced by the child’s story and Mrs Halliburton lost her case – but surprisingly she did not lose her job. Her employer the Mr James whom she had taken to court continued to employ her at The Scotch Arms.
Ann Halliburton continued for a further two years until 1834 when a Mrs Elizabeth fisher took over as innkeeper – and no sooner had Mrs Fisher been in post than another court case took place involving the Scotch Arms.
f) Fisher v Tinling March 1835
“This was an action brought about by the plaintiff Mrs Elizabeth Fisher of The Scotch arms in Brampton against Dr Benjamin Bell Tinling – a surgeon at Warwick bridge to recover the sum of £82. 17s. 7d for board, lodging and washing.
It appears that Dr tinling has a surgery at Brampton assisted by a man called Elliot whom he boarded at Mrs Fisher’s and occasionally stopped there himself when he went to Brampton – and also put his horse up there.
Dr Ttinling claimed as a reduction to this account, a bill of £11.14s.10d. for medical assistance to Mrs fisher’s sister – Mrs Bell of Black Dub. Mrs Fisher’s father who is a respectable man had sold the doctor two horses with the payment for which he had intended to put his two daughters into business at the Scotch Arms a further complication arose with another cross account where the defendant had borrowed the sum of £80. His Lordship on learning other facts, the matter was settled out of court.”
Carlisle Patriot 1835
The plans of the father for Mrs Fisher and Mrs Bell - his two daughters to be set up in business at the Scotch Arms never came to fruition as two years later the landlord is recorded as Mr John Boustead.
g) Items go missing at The Scotch Arms
Stealing from carts parked in the rear yards of inns appears to have been common. Cheeses were stolen from a cart at The George and Dragon after trading at the Wednesday market – it seems the same thing happened at The Scotch Arms:
“On Monday last, a carrier’s cart belonging to a person of the name of Cowen, was robbed in The Scotch Arms Inn yard at Brampton. Seven large hams were stolen therefrom. No trace of the thieves has yet been obtained.”
Carlisle Journal January 1832
The arch at the front door is a typical architectural feature of many houses owned by wealthy people at the time. Unfortunately this arch is the only remaining example in Brampton today.
h) Change of owner
At some stage Mr James solicitor sold his public house to a Mr T.H. Scott. Who changed the board at the front of the house to: “Family and Commercial Hotel” whilst at the same time the Trade Directories continue to name the establishment as The Scotch Arms. Mr Scott is pictured at the front door.
i) “The Market Room”
To help people from outlying villages on Market days, The Scotch Arms provided a “Market Room” which was a secure room in the inn rather like a cloak room, where people could leave their bags and any bulky items bought throughout the day, for collection by them later when they were ready to return home. On at least one occasion things went badly wrong:
“Mary Angus was charged with having stolen 3 yards of wincey and 2 yards of Calico the property of Betsy Armstrong of Brampton. Both were at Brampton Hirings together and in the course of the day Betsy Armstrong purchased the materials and left these at the market room at The Scotch Arms Inn till she was ready to go home. Afterwards Mary Angus called and obtained them from the woman in charge of the market room. A police constable visited the house of Mary Angus who the Magistrates found guilty and sentenced her to 3 months imprisonment with hard labour.”
Carlisle Journal 1861
6. The 1870’s Tithe Map
In 1872 A Tithe map of Brampton was produced in order to record all buildings that existed at that time and to list the owners and occupiers of each property. The map shows clearly the Scotch Arms building number 404 and rear yard and garden. With the Brampton Beck – an open water course at the southern end of the property. The occupier is recorded as David Mitchinson innkeeper.
1862 Mr Cairns cattle mart
The following year Mr Cairns - a valuer and auctioneer of Brampton set up a cattle mart using pens in the rear yard of The Scotch Arms Inn. Every two months a mart day was held here, with cattle and sheep being driven down the streets of Brampton. This initiative brought considerable extra income to the inn, but it was short lived as developments in road and rail transport made it much more convenient for Carlisle and Longtown to become the major cattle markets of the area.
It is interesting to note that Mr Cairns also had a shop next to The Scotch Arms Inn passage way, and from this shop the Cairns family traded as watch and clockmakers; gunmakers and auctioneers. The picture below shows the Cairns shop and the Scotch Arms Inn passageway as a circus passes the front door.
In the same year Mr Routledge had become the new innkeeper at The Scotch Arms and the following picture shows the circus passing the Scotch Arms frontage but now showing William Routledge on the headboard.